The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Take you for a Ride


A unique initiative by residents of Valmiki Nagar Chennai...
They have 10 Lift points within Valmiki Nagar where they have placed signs with their logo. Participating residents also sport the logo on their vehicle. Anyone needing a ride may stand at any of the lift points and request the participating vehicle to stop, at their discretion of course.

Interesting idea that could be adopted by any colony. Wonderful chance for people to socialize. Great for the environment. No more hassles over auto fare. Wonder how they take care of the logistics. I mean anyone could get the logo made and use it to con people or abduct.. I am getting filmy here but possibilities are there.

Saw a girl of about 8-10 years begging near Cascade Besant Nagar at 10 pm. She wore tights and a blue knitted top and curly hair cut short. She could be anyone you or me would know.
She was with a beggar woman and we called her back and asked her where she lived. She said I have no home. I asked where did you get this dress. She said from the Church. She looked too neat and well turned out to be a beggar. The dress was ok but the hair style? The looks? But refused to indicate any such thing when we probed. Soon another girl who looked more like a beggar came right up and we drove off.
I am still wondering whether she had been kidnapped. Wish we could have done something about it.

5 comments:

Lavs said...

I dropped you an email.

Chaitali Patel said...

Hey the idea is so cool...but yes I would be worried about people fooling me. Actually there is so much crap happening nowadays that is quite scary to trust strangers.

Cuckoo said...

I think the idea is awesome too. But how do you identify whether the person is genuine? I think it is a better idea to carpool within the colony of flats one lives in. That should work. (sadly doesn't though in my building. Everyone here, absolutely everyone has a car, sometimes two to drive many to the same 4 - 5 offices. what a waste?!)

The Kid said...

Hitchhiking is extremely dangerous! It is banned in the US because, there were so many incidents of hitchers or the people who give lifts, got killed.

AA_Mom said...

The girl story is pretty scary...I am not sure what you could have done though...