The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

On Reading

I always say that God's worst and cruelest joke on me is that my kids do not really love books as much as I do. 

In all fairness to me, I have read to them at bedtime, I have surrounded them with books and they have shown a lot of interest in books atleast up to the age of 4.

As they grew older, the interest seemed to peter off at the same rate as i was adding books to their collection.

However, prompted by a TV cartoon, they got interested in Jack and the Beanstalk. Yes do not be horrified, they are not at all well versed with fairy tales or nursery rhymes. In fact I have never heard them tell a story or a fable nor have I ever heard them recite a nursery rhyme. They do not know nursery rhymes. Unless I count the "Hadde dillo dillo" they used to say in Junior KG for Hey Diddle Diddle.

Anyway, I digress.

After I read them Enid Blyton's wishing chair and half story of Jack and the Beanstalk, (they slept before I could finish it), I notice they are bringing me books to read at bedtime. Their major interest is to read space encyclopedia, Ocean etc otherwise. 

They saw me reading Life of Pi and immediately narrated the entire story from what they have gathered seeing the trailers during their TV watching. 

So the interest in watching Life of Pi is very high and since it is based on a book, I am also very happy about it. 

So what is the verdict on the Movie? The book is very good. 

No comments: