The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Little Concern

That the kids do not write cursive. They write individual letters of a word. I clearly remember writing in cursive at this age.

Wondering if there is a lack of focus on developing writing skills and that got corroborated at the school. They say it will come automatically.

I had a long chat with some of the teachers and I have expressed that I cannot be expected to focus on cursive writing in the limited time I have as a parent with them. I mean they spend 8.30 to 3.00 pm at school which is a major part of their life. The school needs to build the foundation on which their life skills will be based. I would rather that  they teach only  70% but make it solid rather than pushing for 100% with no foundation built.

Now if there is a handwriting problem, we need to practice but certainly if the entire class refuses to write their assignments in cursive / joined writing, there seems to be a problem I would believe.

How is it at your end?



3 comments:

Ilina said...

Hi, I am a regular reader of your blog but a silent one. Like your writing!

This subject made me comment. I am not a parent, but i am telling you from my own experience. I started writing cursive only when i reached class 6 i.e. around 11 yrs old. VERY LATE by normal standards. I had a friend who was in the same boat. Our teachers had been trying their best since quite some time but we just did not. Finally our teachers decided they have to do something about it.
It was our mid term exams and me and my friend were given 3 hrs instead of the normal 2 hrs to write our papers - condition was we have to write cursive. They would give us +5 marks for it and in case we don't we will have to keep taking the exams until we write cursive. And we did it. May be it was just this push which we needed. An incentive.

I don't know if it was right or wrong. But it worked for us. I don't have a very beautiful handwriting, but it clean, clear and neat. The entire credit goes to my teacher who put in that extra effort.

Itchingtowrite said...

Wow!! class 6 is a long time to start writing cursive!!!

Anonymous said...

In the U.S. atleast in private schools cursive doesn't begin till grade 3 and then most children are so ready for it that they just kind of get it and are on a roll. Am unsure of the grade your twins are in. For boys it helps to wait longer as I'm told. My son is learning only this year and that too only a few letters at a time. He's 8 and in grade 3.

Deepa