The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 19, 2014

Rubik's Cube

40 years of Rubik's cube and counting today.

Funny that an object that was created by Erno Rubika professor of architecture as a teaching tool to help his students understand 3D objects has become a challenging toy in its own right. His actual purpose was solving the structural problem of moving the parts independently without the entire mechanism falling apart. He did not realize that he had created a puzzle until the first time he scrambled his new Cube and then tried to restore it.
It is said he took an hour to put them back together!

Today speed cubers solve them faster. 

Yesterday I taught the kids how to solve a single face of 2X2 cube. They would be pleasantly surprised when sometimes accidentally they solved two faces.

I taught them the principles of face of a 3 x 3 cube and we will be getting on soon I hope. 

At this moment, it is just an interesting toy for them to fiddle with rather than a challenge to solve.

I have spent hours trying to figure the movements out though following the algorithms on the internet I have been able to solve them.
However not mastered in the true sense.
There are multiple software available in the internet for cube games. 
And multiple puzzles like cube race which teh kids had but I never got to see the pieces.

I bought the rubik's snake and a prism which is like a showpiece and I dare not do the mirror cube which are different sized pieces or the cubes which are more than 3 x 3... 



No comments: